CE Marking and ETA for building materials
UL is an accredited Notified Body (Number 0843) to the European Construction Products Directive 89/106/EEC (CPD). This enables us to assess fire-resistance products to applicable EN standards and issue the CE Certificate of conformity.
There are two routes to demonstrating CE Marking compliance:
- (h)EN via a Notified Body (NB)
- ETAG or EAD via an ETA Issuing Body (AB)
For products covered by (h)EN – also known as a Product Standard – CE Marking is mandatory if the product is to be offered for sale in Europe. Also many construction products are covered by ETAGs (European Technical Approval Guidelines) or an EAD (European Assessment Document), resulting in a European Technical Assessment (ETA) that is then used for CE Marking. Because UL is both a Notified Body (NB) and an ETA Issuing Body (AB), our compliance experts can help you understand the requirements and options for CE Marking and for ETAs.
The UL-EU Mark – a pan European Mark for global certification recognition
Our voluntary European certification mark – the UL-EU Mark – is available for many types of construction products and delivers several benefits:
- The certificated product and scope is included in the UL Product iQ certifications platform (formerly known as the UL Online Certifications Directory).
- A single UL team can help you gain the CE Marking and UL-EU Mark with a single product submittal.
- The UL-EU Mark indicates a product’s compliance with the EN or ETAG/EAD safety standards needed for CE Marking, so the CE Marking requirements are covered at the same time.
- Products carrying the UL-EU Mark are also placed under UL’s Follow-Up Services program to determine on-going conformity with product safety requirements.
- We can deliver a combined, transcontinental UL Mark for the EU, the U.S. and Canada, saving time and resources for eligible products. With the combined UL Mark, UL customers selling their products in Europe and the key markets of the United States, Canada and other regions where the UL Mark is accepted have a unique opportunity to earn a combined Mark with one product submittal.
- We can deliver combined factory inspections for Europe (UL-EU and CE Marking) and North America (UL-US, UL-CAN or ULC Mark).